This year, I’ve really tried to create things we love eating out at home. Chicken tikka is one of my Husband’s favourite things to order at the Indian. So with a little bit of input from my brother-in-law (he was very vague, and the only measure he had was two garlic cloves). I always have virtually everything I need to make this in my pantry, so it is a great recipe for us. The only thing you’ll have to invest in are some metal skewers. These are the cheapest ones I could find for you. Served with dollops of mango chutney, a simple onion and tomato salad and heaps of coriander. I have a feeling you’ll be making this over and over again. Now, this really is one to keep and store for work. Would also be great to make for friends, as it’s a great serve yourself option.
Prep: 10 mins (or 2 hours if leaving marinade to soak in).
Cook: 25 mins oven/5 mins grill
- 4 large chicken breasts, cut in to decent cubes*
- 1 large pot of Greek yoghurt (500g)
- 30g of Tandoori spice*
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger
- Juice of 2 limes, 2 extra to serve
- 1 red onion
- 1 large beef tomato
- 1 green chilli
- Wholewheat wraps
- Mango chutney
- Bag of salad
*I used Geeta’s Tandoori spice packets, available in most supermarkets.
*You’ll also need 4 metal skewers and a tray deep enough to rest them on so the chicken doesn’t touch the bottom.
- In a large bowl mix your yoghurt with juice of 1 lime, then grate ginger in, mince or grate in garlic, then add your tandoori spice and mix all together.
- Cut your chicken in to decent chunks and add to the yoghurt mix, stor and coat well. You can either cover your bowl with cling film and leave your chicken to marinade until you are ready or simply use it straight away.
- Evenly distribute your chicken pieces on to your skewers, trying to make sure they don’t touch each other. Don’t worry if they have to but better if not.
- Place them on top of your deep tray, might be tricky for them to balance (be patient).
- Cook on 180fan/200c/350f for 25 minutes, turning half way through (this part is tricky. I used tongs to turn my skewers after failing with a tea towel.
- Then pop them under the grill for 5 minutes to ‘char’. Whilst at this stage make the onion salad.
- Chop your onion finely, de-seed and chop your tomato in to small pieces, finely chop chilli, mix with juice of 1 lime and a bunch of coriander.
- Layer wraps with mango chutney, salad leaves, onion salad and chicken. Serve with a lime wedge.