I promised that I wouldn’t share another dessert option on the blog for a while, but I really couldn’t keep this one in a folder on my computer. I hope you can tell why? It’s a really great time for berries at the moment, beautiful fresh strawberries, raspberries and cherries. Combine that with chocolate meringue, heaps of vanilla cream and a strawberry & balsamic glaze and well, you’ve got a slice of heaven. This crumbly and chewy meringue melts in your mouth; but adds enough crunch to give the dessert a nice texture.
I really hope you like it, one to share!
- 4 egg whites
- 250g of caster sugar
- 2 tsp of balsamic vinegar
- 3 tsp of cocoa powder
- 8 cubes of dark chocolate (keep 2 for the top)
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- 1 Vanilla pod
- A punnet of strawberries/cherries and raspberries
- 2 pots of whipping cream
- Pre-heat oven to gas mark 4
- Grab 2 baking trays and line them with greaseproof paper
- With an electric mixer, mix your egg whites until frothy peaks
- Then add the caster sugar a little at a time, until you have glossy, stiff meringue
- Sieve in cocoa powder, add 1 tsp of the vinegar and chop your 6 cubes of dark chocolate in to fine pieces and add to the bowl.
- Fold the ingredients gently in to the meringue until combined.
- Halve the mixture, spooning generously on to the baking trays in about a 25cm circle.
- Flatten the tops with a spatula.
- Pop in the lowest part of the oven, immediately lower to gas mark 2.
- Bake for 1 hour, 15 minutes.
- Switch meringue shelves half way through or the one above the very bottom shelf will cook quicker.
- Once the meringue lifts away from the paper, turn the oven off and leave the meringues in there for 20 minutes.
- Whilst meringue are cooling, make your cream and sauce.
- For the cream, mix the seeds of one vanilla pod in to 2 tubs of whipping cream and whisk until thick, pop in the fridge until meringues are completely cool.
- For the sauce, blitz half a punnet of strawberries, the other tsp of balsamic and 1 tsp of vanilla until smooth.
- Remove meringues from oven and allow to completely cool on a wire rack.
- Once cooled, layer one meringue disc, top with half the cream mixture and a bunch of mixed berries ( remebering to de-stone cherries for the middle layer), then repeat again for the top.
- Pour over sauce and top with shaved chocolate.
- If not serving immediately, refrigerate until ready.