Banana bread is a firm favourite in our house, but I’ve become a bit fed up of original banana bread. So I decided to try a chocolate version, one of the main adaptions being taking away sugar. I mainly do this for Evie, but she still hates chocolate so maybe it’s just a habit now. Best part is, this chocolate version is just sweet enough that you don’t miss it. Gooey bananas are key to a good banana bread, so leave them to go as brown as you can. I leave mine to the point where most people would have chucked them in the bin a long time ago. If you like to make a lot of banana bread, I totally suggest you invest in loaf tin liners, those bad boys save so much washing up.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 50 mins
- 190g self raising flour
- 25g high quality cocoa powder (I love Green & Blacks)
- Half tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 60ml honey
- 50g extra dark chocolate chunks
- 4 bananas, 3 mushy, 1 for top
- 2 eggs, gently whisked
- 50g butter, room temperature
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- Sieve flour, cocoa, salt and bicarb. Set aside.
- Mash bananas and butter together, add whisked eggs, honey and olive oil.
- Add banana mixture to flour mixture and gently fold to combine.
- Pre heat oven to 180c/gas mark 4.
- Gently add mixture to a pre-greased loaf tin or use a loaf liner. Top with a split banana and a few chocolate chunks.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.