As blackberries are really coming in to their own now and I have seen a heap of my online friends foraging for the beautiful, deep purple fruit. I thought I’d inspire you all to throw them in to a gently spiced, super comforting crumble. Amazingly simple to make, fulfilling and not overly sweet, I promise you will be making this over and over in to the autumn.
Paired up with just ripe conference pears, nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves it is the perfect balance of naturally sweet with an after hit of spicy warmth. All you need to do is, top the fresh out of the oven crumble, with deliciously vanilla melting ice cream. I hope it becomes a firm favourite in your household.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 45 mins
- 2 Conference Pears
- 400g Blackberries
- 2 & a half tblsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp of ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp of Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp of nutmeg
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 125g Plain Flour
- 25g Ground Almonds
- 75g Porridge Oats
- Zest of 2 Oranges
- 150g Chilled Unsalted Butter
- 100g Brown Sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 180c/gas mark 4.
- Chop ends off pears, peel and cut in to small chunks, wash and pick over blackberries.
- Pour both in to a pie dish or oven proof dish of your desire, add spices, sugar and lemon juice. Mix to combine all together.
- For the crumble, cut your butter (make sure it is cold) in to small squares and add to a separate bowl with all other ingredients. Gently mix and rub together ingredients with your fingers, until you get a crumble consistency. Leave a few larger pieces as you desire, they are always a treat. Sprinkle evenly over pie mix.
- Cook on the middle shelf for 45 minutes.