Apple pie, but in mini form? I’m in! These apple hand pies are super simple to make and are so delicious straight out of the oven. My husband ate three all in a row, can’t blame him though. These would be great dipped in salted caramel or smothered in custard, but I’ll leave that choice up to you. Gently spiced, with soft apple, they are quite addictive. I think it’s the size, fitting perfectly in your hand. I’ve always adored apple pie, there’s just something so comforting about it isn’t there? Hand pies have always been a favourite too, I adore the McDonald’s ones, just don’t tell anyone okay?
We are coming to the end of the apple recipes now, I have really enjoyed them. But we are moving on to leeks next, so I am excited to do some savoury recipes. There are so many other ways to enjoy apples, cider, cake, apple sauce, in coleslaw, stuffed, in a crumble. Hopefully I have give you a little inspiration. I know a few of you have already made my apple and walnut loaf, so that makes my heart warm.
Apple Hand Pies
Prep time: 15-20mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 40-45 mins
- 4 x granny smith apples, chopped
- Juice of half a lemon
- 3 tbsp light brown sugar, plus 2 tsp
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp plain flour
- 2 rolls of shortcrust pastry
- 1 egg
- Bring pastry to room temperature, pre heat oven to 180c/gas mark 6
- Add butter, chopped apple, 3 tbsp sugar, lemon juice, 1 tsp mixed spice and 1 tsp cinnamon to a pan. Cook for 10 minutes, until apple begins to soften, then stir in 1 tsp plain flour until everything is coated. Leave to cool slightly.
- Roll out your pastry on to a lightly floured surface and cut circles around 4 inches in diameter. 16 circles in total.
- Spoon in two tsp filling, leave a few cm around the circumference so you can seal your pies. Brush egg wash on to the space and place another circle of pastry on top, pushing down with your fingers and then sealing with a fork by pressing the prongs in to the edges.
- Make a small cross in the top to allow steam out. Repeat with all of the rest. Brush all sealed pies with egg wash. Then sprinkle with a mixture of cinnamon and brown sugar.
- Bake for around 25 mins or until pastry is golden and cooked through completely.