I am totally behind finding and creating snacks for Evie that have minimal, to no refined sugar. It’s not that I’m getting on my soap box about it, it’s just a choice I made from when she was tiny. She is obsessed with fruit, which contains a heap of sugar, so I try and cut out refined sugars where I can.
Step in Lio Licious and their amazing freeze dried fruit packs, which I can 100% guarantee that tiny human of mine is obsessed with. 100% fruit, freeze dried to keep in all of the goodness, in sliced or powder form. Here I have used them in two ways to show you their versatility, blended in a smoothie and a wonderful mini strawberry doughnut.
The great thing about these packs is that they are resealable, so I can keep a pack handy for Evie to simply snack on. She has asked for ”More” every time I offer her a handful and knowing that they are 100% fruit, gives me peace of mind to offer her another lot. The combo of smoothie and doughnut is a little indulgence for her and she gets super excited about the ‘treat’.
Any leftover smoothie mix can be poured into ice lolly moulds and frozen to create smoothie pops.
Serves: 3 smoothies and 8 to 9 mini doughnuts
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
- 140g plain flour
- 1 tbsp strawberry powder, plus extra for dusting.
- 130ml whole milk, plus 750ml
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp honey, plus extra for glaze
- 1 egg
- 1 and a half tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 40g red berry blend
- For smoothie, blend 40g red berries dry, then add m 750ml whole milk and blend again until smooth. Set aside in the fridge.
- Pre heat oven to 170 fan, 190c, gas mark 4/5.
- For doughnuts, add milk, 2 tbsp honey, 1 whisked egg, vanilla and 3 tsp butter to a small pan over a low heat, whisking constantly until butter has melted.
- Add flour, 1 tbsp strawberry powder, 1 and a half tsp baking powder to a bowl then whisk in milk mixture until smooth.
- Grease doughnut pan with butter or cooking spray. Spoon in doughnut mixture until three quarters full. Bake for 10 mins. Allow to cool slightly on a rack before removing from pan and allowing to cool completely.
- For glaze, brush on a light layer of honey, allow to go a little tacky then roll in strawberry powder.
This post is in collaboration with Lio Licious, thank you for supporting the brands that support The Mother Cooker.