Grilled cheese is one of my favourite things to eat, there is something so comforting about it. Carbs and cheese together in general make me smile, bowl of pasta anyone? This blackberry and basil grilled cheese is sweetened with a drizzle of honey. You can use any cheese you want really, but I have used goats cheese here. Mozzarella or fontina, or even Gruyére cheese would be lovely as they melt great!
I love playing around with grilled cheese combinations. One of my favourite’s is cheese, pesto and sundried tomato. But there are so many wonderful combinations you can pull together, but this one is up there with the most delicious. I hope you’ve enjoyed these blackberry recipes and I have showed you how versatile they can be. There are so many more things you can use blackberries for, pancakes, porridge, tarts, salads, sauces, cocktails. Get out and get picking some and create something delicious this September.
Blackberry & Basil Grilled Cheese
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 5 mins
Total time: 10 mins
- 4 slices goats (or any) cheese
- 75g blackberries, smushed with a fork
- Handful of basil, sliced thinly
- 4 slices of crust bread
- Butter or basil oil
- Slice bread in to four thick slices, butter or brush one side with basil oil.
- Smush blackberries with a fork, drizzle in some honey and chopped basil, mix.
- Layer up your sandwich with two slices of cheese and a good helping of blackberry mixture.
- Pop on a hot griddle pan or panini press, toast until golden.