This recipe is so frequently made in our house, that it has become a bit of a Gem classic. My brother-in-law buys jerk season in bulk when he flies home from America, as he makes it frequently now too. It’s so easy, packed full of goodness and can suit any leftover meat. It’s a recipe I developed from one I found in a magazine, years ago now. So it was the first recipe I thought of when creating these leftover recipes in partnership with Joseph Joseph. Lyzi made it and I know it has become a firm favourite with her too.
Now I’ve tried this with so many different jerk brands, but the one that stands out is Dunns River. It just doesn’t taste the same otherwise, it’s available at most supermarkets.
- 2 carrots, ribboned
- 1 large or 2 small red onion, cut in to half moons
- 400-600g leftover meat
- 1 green pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 heaped tblsp jerk seasoning
- 1 400g tin coconut milk
- 1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 medium bag fresh spinach (240g)
- 1 400g tin kidney beans
- 2 portions microwave rice
- 1 & a half tblsp oil
- Bunch of fresh parsley (optional)
- Add oil to a large pan with 1 ribboned carrot and sliced onion, cook for a few minutes until softened.
- Add leftover meat and jerk seasoning and stir all together.
- Add coconut milk and tomatoes, stir everything together. Cook on a medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add half your bag of spinach and second ribboned carrot. Cook for a further 8 minutes.
- Add the other half of your spinach, green pepper and drained tin of kidney beans. If you want to combine your beans with your rice instead you can do this. Cook for a further five minutes.
- With that last five mins, ping your rice in the microwave. Serve hot and sprinkle with parsley.
Awesome Joseph Joseph products used:
Thank you to Joseph Joseph for gifting me the above products.