Iced tea is something that I have only started loving recently, I remember visiting America and thinking people were wild for drinking tea cold. It needs to be steaming with milk and sugar, come on now. But I guess that was the British in me. Then I tried a peach green tea drink that a brand sent me and I was blown away by how delicious it was and ever since I have tried to recreate it myself. I decided on green tea for the health qualities it brings, packed full of nutrients, antioxidants and brain boosting ingredients. Caffeine has been absent from my life for 8 months now, so I went with the decaffeinated version.
I could genuinely drink this tea for the whole of summer, especially if we keep getting this glorious weather here in England. Although the autumn lover in me has been pining for some cosy days, we really aren’t built for this heat. This iced peach green tea recipe is super simple to make and once ready, you can keep a batch in the fridge. I like to freeze some segments of peaches too, to act as fruity ice cubes. It’s a great drink to make for guests too, sweet, subtle and super refreshing. Here’s to summer and sneaking in your frozen blood orange segments from February!
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 10 mins, plus 30 mins infusing
- 5 peaches, 3 for syrup, 2 to segment for freezer
- 180g sugar
- 1.5ltrs boiling water, plus 250ml
- 3 green tea teabags
- In a large heatproof jug, add 1.5 litres of boiling water, add tea bags and steep for five minutes. Remove teabags. Chill.
- Segment two peaches and pop into a zip lock bag or flat on a tray and freeze.
- Segment the other three peaches, the easiest way to segment a peach is to run your knife along the indent, all the way around. Then twist to separate.
- In a saucepan, add three peaches worth of thinly sliced segments with sugar and 250ml of boiling water.
- Bring to a boil, then turn down to a medium heat, stirring occasionally until all sugar has dissolved breaking up peaches as you go.
- Turn off heat and leave to infuse for 30 minutes.
- Strain peach syrup through a fine sieve into your chilled green tea.
- Add ice and peach segments to glasses just before serving.