Breakfast hash is a delicious and filling way to start your day. This recipe comes together super quick and if you want to make it even snappier, include the pre-boiling of the potatoes in your weekend meal prep. That way you just have to grab them from the fridge and crisp them up in the pan. It would be great if you were doing something like whole30, you’d just have to skip the beans. Also, if you’re not a fan of kidney beans, switch them out for chickpeas or black beans instead. I’m a huge fan of serving this breakfast hash with salsa, or pickled red onions. Dollops of guacamole and a few shots of hot sauce. Load it up, make it your own.
Huge tip, grab a pan with a glass lid. They are so useful for when you are making things with eggs.
I rely on mine so much for things like this and our favourite weekend breakfast, shakshuka. Speaking of shakshuka, I recently served it over a bowl of hummus and it was an absolute game changer. Maincrop potatoes are in season now, I love red potatoes most of all. Desiree is my favourite to plant. Speaking of planting potatoes, it’s now time to start chitting your first earlies. I highly recommend ‘Rocket’ potatoes. I grew them last year and they were the most delicious potatoes I’d ever eaten.
Mexican Style Breakfast Hash
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 35 mins
- 3 small potatoes (around 250g), chopped into small cubes with skin on
- 4 eggs
- 400g tin kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, served as you wish
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp each of smoked paprika, cumin and chili flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Lime juice, 2 chopped spring onion, fresh coriander, chopped fresh tomato and red chili to serve
- Bring a pan of water to a boil and add your chopped potatoes, boil for 5-6 mins, then drain. *Save time by doing this in advance with meal prep on a weekend.
- Add potatoes to a frying pan and cook for 5 mins, then add garlic, peppers and spices. Cook for another 5-7 mins until potatoes start to become crispy.
- Add in kidney beans, then make 4 indentations and crack in the eggs. Cover with a lid and cook until whites are set, around 4-5 mins.
- Serve with fresh chili, avocado, coriander, onion and fresh tomato. Season to taste.