Fried rice is a bit of a staple in our house, we love one pan meals. They are so easy to cook, create less washing up and are super quick to pull together. I have recipes for chicken fried rice, salmon fried rice and now this prawn version. They all get made at least once a week and my husband loves taking them to work. Getting that feeling of take out at home is great, a complete fake away. This recipe is dedicated to my good friend Hannah Gale, who makes a pineapple and cashew fried rice all of the time. I love making these types of dishes because you can fill them with a heap of vegetables. My chicken version contains four carrots.
The sweetness of the pineapple is great at cutting through the saltiness of the dish and the prawns add another depth of texture. I love adding the peas right at the end to keep the intense green. You can use pre-cooked rice, but I simply use a microwave packet. I find it so much easier, just tip it in and go.
Prawn and Pineapple Fried Rice
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 20 mins
- 600g raw king prawns
- 150g peas
- 1 egg
- 60ml soy sauce
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 150g fresh pineapple, chopped into small chunks
- 4 garlic cloves
- Salt, pepper, pinch of chilli flakes
- 2 packs of microwaveable basmati rice
- 60g cashews. chopped
- Add chopped onion, garlic and pineapple to a wok with 2 tbsp oil. Cook on a medium heat until onion begins to soften (around 5 mins).
- Add rice, cashews and soy sauce, cook on high until liquid has evaporated and rice starts to become crispy.
- Add prawns and egg, cook until prawns are pink and cooked through. Then add peas at the end and cook for two mins.
- Season to taste. Serve hot or it will keep in an airtight container for 2-3 days. Allowing the contents to cool rapidly on a plate before popping in the container.