Smashed peas and avocado on toast, ever had it? You really need to try it. Not only is it fresh and vibrant, it’s delicious. Peas are in season from spring until mid summer, they tend to struggle a bit in the high heat. They are a cool weather crop, so prefer a place in the dappled shade if you can give it them. Once you’ve eaten your homegrown ones, you won’t look back, honestly. Alas, frozen are great too and I always have them in my freezer. I tend to put them in a lot of dishes as I love how much iron they contain.
They go great with the creamy avocado and lemon brings out all the freshness. This dish will take you no time at all, so it’s great for a quick and filling breakfast or snack. In fact there’s no real cooking required. All you need to do is toast the bread. It’s a really great and delicious way to eat peas.
Smashed Peas and Avocado on Toast
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 5 mins
Total time: 10 mins
- 1 ripe avocado
- 125g frozen or fresh peas (half cup)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Zest of 1 lemon and juice of half
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 slices of toasted bread (sourdough would be fab)
- Pop your bread on to toast.
- Measure out your peas and then put them in a bowl with boiling water for 1 minute. Drain and rinse in cold water, set aside.
- Add avocado, peas, lemon juice and half the zest in a bowl with salt, pepper and chilli flakes. Smash together with a fork until you get your desired consistency.
- Spoon mixture on top of your toast and the sprinkle on the rest of your zest and season to taste.