My favourite spiced apple doughnuts have had an upgrade. I first made these a few years ago and when I went to make them again, I realised they needed a little tweaking. I love making doughnuts, baked ones are so incredibly easy to create. I haven’t taken the plunge and made fried ones yet, but I may practice over Christmas. Apples are still everywhere at the moment and they go so well with mixed spice. Why not break the apple pie tradition and make something different? A true crowd pleaser, these are ready in under half an hour. Any reason to indulge in salted caramel and I am there. Hazelnuts are my choice of crunchy topping but you could use any nut you wish.
Serves: 6 doughnuts
Prep time: 8 mins
Cook time: 18 mins
- 140g of plain flour
- 100g of sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 and a half tsp mixed spice
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp of butter
- 1 & a half tsp of baking powder
- 125ml of milk
- 1 apple, grated
For Salted Caramel topping:
- 60ml double cream
- 3tbsp butter
- 50g dark brown sugar
- 1tsp sea salt
- 100g hazelnuts, crushed
- Pre-heat oven to 180c, gas mark 4 and grease your doughnut tin.
- Add sugar, flour, spice, baling powder and grated apple to a bowl. Set aside.
- Add milk, egg and butter to a pan and whisk until butter has melted. Pour into dry ingredients and mix to combine.
- Spoon in mixture evenly into doughnut tin, until near the top of the moulds.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes, before transferring to a wire rack.
- For caramel, add sugar, butter and cream to pan. Heat until boiling, swirling to combine. Lower heat and cook for a further five minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove into a heat proof jug, allowing to cool for a few minutes.
- Dip in doughnuts one at a time, set on a wire rack and sprinkle with crushed hazelnuts.