When I first made my Mojito Doughnuts, I thought ‘I bloomin love this idea, I wonder what other cocktails I could do?’ So my mini series was born, this cocktail is one of my favourites. Mainly because I didn’t drink for a very long time, I still don’t really. But it was my go to un-alcoholic cocktail. These doughnuts can easily be made without the rum, they still make a delicious strawberry based dessert. I have alternated the toppings, with one being a glaze and the other a lime sugar. So you can either make both or choose one, both are delicious. I secretly hope you try both.
Ingredients, Doughnuts, Makes 12
- 1 and a 1/4 cups of plain flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- 10 strawberries
- 1/4 tsp of lime juice
- 1 tbsp of rum
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 and a 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- In a blender, blitz strawberries, vodka, lime juice and vanilla until smooth. Set aside.
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- In a pan over a medium heat, bring together butter milk and the egg, stirring constantly until butter is melted.
- Remove from the heat, add in strawberry mix, stir and add to dry mixture.
- Pre-heat oven to gas mark 4.
- Spray your doughnut pan with a light spray or rub with butter.
- Spoon in your mixture until near the top.
- Bake for 15 minutes until lightly golden.
- Remove from doughnut pan and place on a wire rack to cool.
- 1 and a 1/4 cup of icing sugar
- 1 tbsp of lime juice
- 1 tsp of vodka
- 3 drops of strawberry syrup
- 2 tbsps of milk
- Mix icing sugar and all other ingredients (apart from the lime zest) in a saucepan over a medium heat until combined and forming a liquid.
- Remove from the heat and pour in to a bowl over a pan of boiling water. Set aside.
- Dip doughnuts in to the glaze, sprinkle over lime zest and wait to set.
- Re-dip again and wait to set completely on cooling rack.
Ingredients, Sugar Dip
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 tblsp of melted butter
Directions, Sugar Dip
- Dip doughnuts in to melted butter.
- Dip in to sugar.
- Return to cooling rack.