Sweet potatoes are incredibly versatile, chips, jackets, curry, chilli, soup, burgers, noodles. There are a world of possibilities with this orange vegetable. It’s in season at the moment, packed to the brim with vitamin A and vitamin C and counts towards one of your five a day unlike white potatoes. This super root is a great addition to your diet and after you try this soup, I’m hoping it will be a permanent one.
Spicy Sweet Potato Soup
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 40-50 minutes
- 500g sweet potato, chopped in to small cubes
- 1 white onion, chopped finely
- 1 red pepper
- 1 red chilli, three quarters of the seeds removed and chopped finely
- 2 carrots, chopped in to small rounds
- 1 tin coconut milk
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 1 tsp spicy paprika
- Half tsp tumeric
- Half tsp cumin
- Quarter tsp cayenne pepper
- Half tbsp Olive oil
- Add onion to a medium pan with the oil and cook over a medium heat until soft and golden.
- Add potato, chilli, carrots, pepper and spices. Cook for around 8-10 minutes until softening.
- Add coconut milk and vegetable stock and set to just past simmer for 30 minutes.
- Blend all ingredients together using a hand blender.
- Serve hot or allow to cool and store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Sweet Potato Chilli
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 30-40 mins
- 500g sweet potato, chopped in to cubes
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 2 red chilli, finely chopped
- 3 peppers, any colour, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tin kidney beans
- 2 cubes dark chocolate
- 1 tsp cumin, plus a sprinkle
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper, plus a sprinkle
- Quarter tsp cinnamon, plus a sprinkle
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Decent pinch of black pepper
- Sour cream, avocado, tortilla chips and lime to serve.
- Place cubed sweet potato on a baking tray with a sprinkle each of cumin, cayenne and cinnamon. Mix with 1 tbsp olive oil and rotate using your hands to coat. Pop in the oven on 200c/gas mark 8 and roast for 25-30 minutes.
- Whilst your sweet potatoes are cooking, add the other tbsp of olive oil to a medium pan over a medium heat. Once hot, add your onion, chilli, garlic, carrots, peppers and spices. Cook gently for 10 minutes until softening.
- Add your tomatoes, drain and add your beans and cook for 15-20 minutes on a medium heat. Then add your chocolate cubes and stir to melt thoroughly.
- Once sweet potato is cooked, add to your chilli pot and cook for five minutes. Season with pepper and serve.
- Serve with sour cream, smashed avocado, lime and tortilla chips.
Sweet Potato Curry with Cauliflower Rice
Find the recipe here.