Blueberry pancakes are one of my absolute favourites. I grow blueberries for this reason alone to be honest with you. I love that they aren’t too sweet and are packed with antioxidants. In fact, they are believed to have one of the highest antioxidant levels of all common fruits and vegetables. That’s not to be sniffed at. Why not pick them now and freeze some for the colder months, 1 cup is worth 24% of your recommended daily dose of vitamin C. Something you will be grateful for come autumn and winter.
The recipe is super simple and follows my standard vegan pancake recipe. It is the quick blueberry compote that elevates the bowl to the next level, it will only take you three minutes to make. I have added chopped nuts, lemon zest and coconut to bring out all the flavours. Lemon and blueberry are a match made in heaven, but you can top it with whatever you like.
Vegan Blueberry Pancake Bowl
Serves: 6 pancakes
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
- 135g plain flour (1 cup)
- 250ml dairy free milk (1 cup)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 100g blueberries (3/4 cup)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp olive oil/coconut oil (plus extra for greasing)
- Zest of a lemon
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Add flour, baking powder, sugar and 25g blueberries to a bowl, mix to combine.
- Then add milk and oil, mix gently until just combined. Making sure not to over work the batter.
- Once that is done, add a tsp of coconut oil to a heavy skillet or frying pan. Turn on to a medium heat. Once melted spoon even amounts of batter into the pan.
- Wait for bubbles to appear on the surface (a few minutes) , then gently flip until golden. Be aware that once you flip the pancake it will not take as long for that side to golden.
- Clean pan between each set of pancakes with kitchen roll and add fresh oil.
- Keep pancakes warm in a tea towel.
- Whilst pancakes are being kept warm, add 75g blueberries to a pan with 1 tbsp maple syrup and juice of half a lemon. Mix vigorously on a high heat until a sauce comes together.
- Spoon sauce over pancakes and sprinkle on lemon zest.