Today for tried & tasted Tuesday I’m turning to the December issue of Olive magazine, I’ve wanted to try this soup since the moment I saw it. The new year has seen me make a dedication to cut down on meat and really try and eat a vegetarian lunch. This soup happens to be vegan, packed full of delicious vegetables whilst filling you up with the added quinoa. I will be honest, I’ve had my quinoa in the cupboard since the last recipe I put on the site. So it’s nice to know that I can get use out of it for something else. This is a delicious idea to take to work, just keep the herbs and lime separate in a little pot or bag. Don’t let the ingredients list put you off, you’ll most likely have nearly all of it included on your weekly shop. I will most certainly be making it again, ready in 30 minutes too!
Prep time: 6 mins
Cook time: 24 mins
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bunch spring onions, green tops included
- 1 stalk lemongrass, woody outer leaves removed
- 1 walnut sized piece of fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp quinoa
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 100g broccoli, chopped in to small pieces
- 100 green beans, chopped in to small pieces
- 100g frozen peas, defrosted
- 100g spinach, shredded
- Handful of basil and mint, finely chopped
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- Heat the olive oil in a large medium non stick pan. Add the chopped onions, lemongrass, ginger, garlic and chilli.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes until softened.
- Add the quinoa and stock and simmer until tender (around 15 minutes).
- Add the broccoli and beans and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the peas and spinach and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Season to your liking, then stir in herbs, lime zest and juice to serve.