One of my promises to myself this year, was to attempt more vegan dishes. Not only because you lot tend to adore them, but eating more plant based foods is something I really strive for. Pancakes are one of my top breakfast foods. So nailing vegan pancakes was top of my list. This zesty bowl of goodness is a great way to wake up. The citrus adds a good amount of zing to awaken your taste buds. Balanced out with soya yoghurt, nuts and a sweet and mild banana, it’s delicious.
One of the main things I wanted from these pancakes, was fluffiness. Typically crucial for a good pancake. Nobody wants to eat a soggy concoction. I wanted to try and steer clear of including bananas in the batter, as not everyone is a fan. These pancakes are gloriously fluffy and the key to that, is to not over work your batter. Allow the air bubbles to form and spoon it into the pan gently.
The maple and blood orange dressing is out of this world good and you would be a fool not to at least try it. Oh I do love blood orange season, they are just so beautiful to look at. Helps that they are delicious too. What’s your trick for vegan pancakes? I’ve heard a number of things, including sparkling water. Let me know over on Instagram.
Zest Vegan Pancake Bowl
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 20
- 135g plain flour (1 cup)
- 250ml oat milk (1 cup)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp olive oil/coconut oil (plus extra for greasing)
- Zest of 1 blood orange
- 1 and a half tbsp blood orange juice
- Blood orange segments
- 1 banana
- 1 passion fruit
- 6 tbsp soya yoghurt
- Mix of seeds
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- Add flour, baking powder, sugar and half the blood orange zest to a bowl, mix to combine.
- Then add oat milk and oil, mix gently until just combined. Making sure not to over work the batter.
- Once that is done, add a tsp of coconut oil to a heavy skillet or frying pan. Turn on to a medium heat. Once melted spoon even amounts of batter into the pan.
- Wait for bubbles to appear on the surface (a few minutes) , then gently flip until golden. Be aware that once you flip the pancake it will not take as long for that side to golden.
- Clean pan between each set of pancakes with kitchen roll and add fresh oil.
- Keep pancakes warm in a tea towel.
- To assemble your bowls, add 3 pancakes, 3 tbsp soya yoghurt, half a banana, half a passion fruit, a sprinkle of seeds and blood orange segments.
- For dressing, add 1 and a half tbsp blood orange juice to three tbsp of maple syrup.