Puffins: n, A pizza shaped like a muffin.
Let’s face it, cooking for children can be quite stressful. But what happens when you have to cook for more than one? So I thought I’d introduce ideas for children’s party food. I had this idea when I couldn’t sleep one night, it happens a lot. I keep a notepad on my bed side table, frantically jotting down ideas. I once made Cruffins, which is muffins made from croissant dough. So I used the technical idea but made Puffins instead. Pizza shaped like muffins, using puff pastry.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Easier to grab for little hands than floppy slices of pizza, ready in 15 minutes and only six ingredients. Easy to adapt with different flavours and they really are simple to make once you get the hang of it. They pleased Evie and Daddy in our house, I hope they go down a storm in your house hold too.
- 1 roll of pre-made puff pastry
- 4 tblsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp Italian style seasoning
- 1 garlic clove
- 18 slices of pepperoni
- Grated mozzarella
- (Optional) fresh basil leaves to garnish
- Pre-heat oven to gas mark 4/180c, grease a muffin pan with a little butter or spray oil.
- Gently dust a surface with flour, roll out your pastry and cut in to three sections approximately 9 x 7 inches. Or simply three equal rectangle sections.
- Peel your garlic, grate in to tomato puree, then mix in Italian seasoning.
- Evenly distribute your tomato mix across your three pastry sections, leaving around an half an inch border. Add 6 slices of pepperoni to each tomato section, then sprinkle with cheese.
- Roll your pastry from left to right, tucking it in to make a roll. Then using a sharp knife, cut your rolls in half lengthways, creating two sections from your original roll.
- Filling side up, roll the new sections in to swirls and place inside a muffin hole. Sprinkle with a little more cheese and bake for 15 minutes/until golden. Sprinkle with torn basil if using. Allow to cool slightly before handing to little fingers.