One promise that I have made to myself this year, is to try and save money. Now, I spend a heap of money on sushi. It is my favourite food and I genuinely can’t go in to town without stopping at Wasabi. E’s favourite snack is edamame and I genuinely take whole responsibility. But hey, she could prefer crisps…so I think I’m doing Ok on that mama front. The one thing you have to remember when making this bowl, is there are few rules. In fact, there is only one rule: make sure your fish has been pre-frozen to kill all bacteria. Either buy it frozen, defrost in the fridge overnight and use it the next day or speak to your fishmonger at the supermarket to see what journey your fish has been on.
This dish contains Omega-3 fatty acids, protein, vitamin B6, vitamin D, fibre, potassium, carbohydrate, calcium, iron…I could go on. Basically, all of the ingredients together create a healthy meal that will fill you up and hopefully not make you want to snack in the middle. I’ve added a super quick pickled side salad which you can take or leave. You could switch out the white rice for brown if you prefer and want to go down the proper healthy route.
You could also add a spicy mayo if you’re a heat lover like me, just mix 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise with one tablespoon of sriracha.
Ingredients, makes 1 large salad or 2 small
- 1 boneless sashimi grade salmon fillet – pre frozen or bought frozen and defrosted thoroughly.
- 1 avocado
- 1 pack of white rice (I cheat and get microwavable)
- Handful of edamame beans or soya beans
- 2 spring onions
- Sesame seeds
- 2 tblsp of low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tblsp rice whine vinegar
- 1 tblsp sriracha
- Chilli flakes
- 1 and a half tblsp of Mirin
- Remove skin of salmon and cut in to cubes.
- Put in a bowl with soy, rice whine vinegar and sriracha, mix, cover with cling film and place in the fridge immediately to collect later.
- Pop your rice in the microwave, once cooked, allow to cool. I put mine in a bowl and cover it.
- Once rice is cooled, add the mirin and mix.
- Chop onions and avocado.
- Layer the bowl with all ingredients however you wish, top with edamame and sesame seeds and then sprinkle with chilli flakes or dressing (see top of page).
For pickled side salad
- Chop carrot, red onion, cucumber and radish.
- Mix with 1 tlbsp of cider vinegar and 1 tsp of sesame oil.