A few years ago, my brother-in-law gave us a recipe for turkey chilli. I think it was from a diet he and his wife were following at the time. Over the years I’ve adapted it and thought it would be great to share with you. Turkey mince is much lower in fat (7%) than other meat mince, making it great if you are doing weight watchers etc. Making meals you could adapt along with weight watchers was actually a request through my Twitter. So I thought this would be a great, quick and super easy meal for a mid week evening. Turkey mice really is in-expensive too, so it’s an all round winner.
Serves 2 and a little, if you want to make this for your little, divide their portion in to a different pot after stage 3 with a quarter tsp of each spice, just don’t add chilli powder.
- 450g turkey mince
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 fresh tomatoes
- Bunch of coriander
- 1 red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 green pepper
- 400g tin of red kidney beans
- 1 tblsp of cumin
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 1 tsp of chilli powder
- 1 tsp of oil
- 2 packs of microwaveable rice
- Chop onion and add to a medium pan with the mince, brown mince and soften onion on a medium heat.
- Peel and chop garlic, add to pan and cook for two mins.
- Quarter and add fresh tomatoes, then add tin of tomatoes.
- Add spices and cook for 10-12 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Chop peppers in to large chunks and add to pan, cook for two mins.
- You can either drain and add your kidney beans with your pepper or drain and put in a jug and cover with boiling water until everything is cooked.
- Pop your rice in the microwave. Serve and top with fresh coriander.