I’m going to be honest, so I set out to make simple berry meringues and well they didn’t look aesthetically pleasing. Tasted super great, no way I could have shot them. So as the saying goes, if you have lemons…make lemon cream. So there you have it, ‘Berry Meringue Eton Mess’ was created. Fresh seasonal berries, indulgent lemon cream and chewy berry meringue. If I had a bath, I’d fill it with this dessert and eat the lot.
Nothing says summer to me like Eton Mess, I always choose it from the menu, just as I would choose Apple Crumble in Autumn. The only thing you have to cook is the meringue, which are pretty simple, containing 6 ingredients and a simple process.
Meringue Ingredients, serves 2-4
- 3 Large egg whites
- 175g Caster Sugar
- 175g of mixed black/blueberries
- 1/4 tsp of white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp of Vanilla extract
- Using an electric mixer, mix egg whites until frothy.
- Gradually add sugar, vanilla and vinegar and mix until stiff peaks.
- Test by holding over your head, if you’re brave enough!
- Blitz berries in a food processor & gently fold mixture in to the meringue.
- Pre-heat oven to gas mark 2
- Place Greaseproof paper on to a baking tray and spoon mixture in circles on to it.
- Turn oven down to gas mark 1 or even lower if it will allow it and place baking tray on to the lower part of the oven.
- Bake for 60-80 minutes, or until the meringues lift from the paper.
- Turn off oven and leave meringues inside for 20 minutes.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
For Eton Mess
- 1 Pot of Whipping Cream
- 1 tsp of Sicilian lemon extract
- Zest of 1 lemon and orange
- Handful of mixed berries
- Squirty Cream
- Fruit Syrup
- Break meringue in to chunks.
- Layer berries, meringue, cream so meringue doesn’t go soggy.
- Pour over fruit Syrup.
- Top with squirty cream and more syrup.