It’s time for squash recipes and I couldn’t be happier. We are starting with this butternut squash and chickpea curry, a recipe which is completely vegan. This hearty and warming curry is perfect for autumn, to me it is perfect. I’ve actually recipe tested it five times now, with my husband critiquing and me tweaking each one. It’s a filling and cheap meal, if you have the spices in the cupboard it actually comes in at under five pounds. A five pound meal is perfect to add to your weekly shop in my opinion. In fact most of the ingredients in this recipe are my cupboard essentials. I’ll always have tinned tomatoes, chickpeas and coconut milk. I also have a whole heap of squash at this time of year too, it’s just so versatile.
I’m yet to test this in my instant pot, but I will and I’ll report back accordingly. I did once cook an entire butternut squash in it within ten minutes though, amazing! Part of me will always prefer the flavour of roasted veg. I know it takes that little bit longer, but it’s just so sweet and delicious. But let’s get to the recipe shall we? I’m super proud of this one and I think you will all love it too, here’s to squash season.
Butternut Squash and chickpea curry
Prep time: 10-12 mins
Cook time: 30-40 mins
Total time: 40-50 mins
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium to large butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tins of chickpeas (800g )
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes (400g)
- 1 tin of coconut milk (cream part only), or creamed coconut
- 2 and a half tsp mild curry powder
- 2tsp garam masala
- Half tsp ground fenugreek
- Half tsp chilli flakes (this can be removed if serving for children)
- 1 level tsp salt
- Half tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp sugar (this can be removed if eating sugar free)
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- Toasted pine nuts or seeds (optional for topping)
- Coriander (optional to garnish)
- Peel and chop/cube your butternut squash, add to a tray with one tbsp oil and a sprinkle of garam masala, tossing to coat evenly. Pop in to the oven on 200c for 25 mins.
- Finely chop your onion and add to a large pan with the other 2 tbsp oil.
- In a bowl add all your spices and minced garlic, set aside.
- Drain and rinse your tinned chickpeas, set aside.
- Cook your onion on med/high for five mins until softened, add spices and garlic, cook for a further few mins until coated. Add chickpeas and cook for a further five mins until everything is coated.
- Add tinned tomatoes and the coconut cream, stir everything to combine. Bring to a boil and then turn down to a simmer. Stirring occasionally until your butternut squash is ready.
- Once butternut is ready, remove from oven and pop it in to a blender. Puree. Add pureed squash and sugar to curry, stir in and cook for a further ten mins until chickpeas are just soft. If you like them super soft, keep on a simmer for a further ten mins, adding a little water if your curry starts to stick.
- Serve with toasted nuts and coriander (optional).
*Curry will keep for three days, covered in the fridge. Goes great with garlic naan and can be frozen too.
Find more squash recipes here.