Putting a bit of a different spin on tried and tasted today, where I have tried to re-create something I ate at a restaurant. I visited a branch of Gourmet Burger Kitchen for my husband’s birthday and had their ‘Chicken and Bacon Pesterella Burger’. Genuinely one of the nicest things I’ve eaten and I can’t even explain their Thai prawns with jam salsa. Wow. I’d never been there before, but it is one of my husbands faves and I will most be certainly going back. I loved my burger so much, that I thought I would re-create it at home. Hope you enjoy this new spin on ‘Tried and Tasted Tuesday.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 slices of mozzarella cheese
- 2 packs of fresh basil
- Olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 20g Parmesan cheese
- 30g pine nuts
- 2 tblsp mayonnaise
- Salad leaves
- 1 large tomato
- Half a small red onion
- 2 ciabatta style buns
- First make your pesto by adding garlic, pine nuts, Parmesan and 1 and a half packs of basil to a food processor. Blitz, then whilst still on, slowly add enough olive oil to bring it to your desired consistency.
- Make your mayonnaise by blitzing your mayo with the rest of the basil leaves. Or you could simply chop the basil up super fine and stir in.
- To make your salsa, finely chop the tomato and red onion. Pop step 1-3 to the side for later.
- Grill your chicken in a griddle pan for 5-7 minutes on each side, until cooked all the way through. Once flipped, add your bacon to the pan.
- Once cooked, add a slice of mozzarella on top of your chicken, add bacon on top and flip on the the pan to melt for 30 seconds.
- Layer your burger as you wish, add salad leaves, pesto, basil mayo and salsa. I suggest only a tblsp or so of pesto.
*You can save any leftover pesto in an ice cube tray and freeze. Pop in to soups, yum!