If you’d asked me a few years ago if I’d be eating quinoa and kale for breakfast, I would have laughed in your face. I disliked kale for such a long time. I also used to call it ‘Quin-oh-a’, when it’s actually pronounced ‘keen-wah’. Part of me always thought it was an expensive posh person grain, how wrong I was. You can now pick a bag of quinoa up for just over a pound. It’s also extremely versatile, you can use it in baking, soups, salads or as a base grain in place of rice.
This breakfast takes a little while to prepare. But you can cook the quinoa ahead of time and keep it in the fridge. Simply warm it through when you need it. Everything else doesn’t take long at all, which is great. The balance of everything in the bowl is a great way to start your day. Packed with iron, calcium, good carbohydrates, protein, vitamins. It’s really got it all! It has to be my favourite vegetarian breakfast ever.
It was inspired by a recipe I found on Pinterest and have adapted over time. Cooking the quinoa in stock really helps with the depth of flavour. I also like to grab the chilli halloumi when I go shopping. Then again I could eat halloumi until it came out of my ears, you can find some more recipes using it here.
Halloumi and Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 30 mins
- 4 slices of halloumi cheese
- 1 egg, fried
- 100g quinoa (half cup)
- Handful of kale and spinach, washed
- 40g pine nuts, dry toasted
- Half an avocado
- 600ml vegetable stock
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Salt, pepper and chilli flakes
- Add quinoa to a pan and top with stock, bring to the boil and the lower to a simmer, cooking to packet instructions (usually around 17 mins).
- Whilst quinoa is cooking, prep the rest of your ingredients.
- When quinoa has around 6 mins to go, dry roast your nuts and set aside. Add a little oil to the pan and saute your garlic, then add kale and spinach, cook until just wilted. Set aside.
- Add a little more oil to the pan and cook your egg on one half and halloumi on the other.
- Drain quinoa and assemble your bowl. Serve with avocado and season. Squeezer over some lemon juice.