Happy new year everyone! Can’t quite believe we have reached 2017, last year went by so quickly it was all a bit of a blur. I for one am welcoming the fresh start with open arms. The decorations are down, the house is clean and I am focusing on new recipes for the year.
Now, let’s talk about this delicious salad. Packed full of rainbow vegetables, in season beets and radish. Salty halloumi and topped with a lemon, caper, chilli and garlic dressing. Simply delicious and so bright that it makes me smile. I ran a poll and the majority of you voted to see a lot more vegetarian recipes, turns out a lot of you are vegetarian. So I am ploughing my efforts in to researching and creating some delicious meat free alternatives. If you are doing #veganuary or are a vegan, simply remove the halloumi and replace it with something else you enjoy or eat the salad without. It is very satisfying and packed full of nutrients. My Husband is currently eating it out of the serving dish with a serving spoon.
Once you get past all the chopping, the salad is easy to assemble and the dressing adds that extra bit of kick you need. Please know that this salad does not need any salt added, as the capers and halloumi add a decent amount of salt already. I hope you like it, I hope you decant it in to tubs and take it to work. Here’s to a tasty 2017.
Halloumi Rainbow Salad
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 6 mins
Total time: 21 mins
- Packet of mixed salad leaves
- Half a packet of rocket
- 1 red, yellow and green pepper.
- 2 carrots
- 1 fresh beetroot
- 4 radish
- 1 small red onion
- 2 spring onions
- Handful of flat leaf parsley
- 1 pack of halloumi
- Olive oil
- Pack of mixed Romello tomatoes
- Handful of mixed Chia and flax seed
- Peel and grate carrots and beetroot. Be careful with the beetroot, that bad boy stains everything.
- Halve tomatoes and de-seed and chop peppers finely.
- Chop onions and radishes.
- Tear up your parsley and mix in with your rocket and salad leaves.
- Add all chopped fruit and veg and mix everything together.
- For halloumi, add a little olive oil to a frying pan. Slice halloumi and fry until golden, a few minutes on each side.
- Pat with kitchen towel.
- Layer on top of your salad warm.
- Top with dressing (see below.)
For the dressing
- 2 and a half tblsp of good olive oil
- Juice of one large lemon
- 1 red chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 1 large clove of garlic, put through a garlic press
- 2 tsp of capers
- Finely chop chilli, press garlic.
- Add to a bowl with oil, lemon juice and capers.
- Mix well, pour over salad and top with seeds.