Would you believe it if I told you that this recipe came to me in a dream? Maybe I was dreaming about pancakes, maybe I was in Mexico. Either way, I woke up and knew I had to make this combination. I think a lot of people always assume pancakes must be sweet, but savoury are just as nice for breakfast, brunch, lunch…dinner. Pancakes any time are lovely right?
This recipe would be great if you have leftovers of half of things, half an onion, half a lime etc. You can also keep the salsa and stir it in to some pasta. These pancakes are vegetarian, but you could totally add some bacon in between, prosciutto, chorizo? Basically, you could make them your own creation. I hope you love them.
For the pancakes, makes 9, prep time 6 mins, cook time 9 mins
- 200g of flour
- 200ml of milk
- 2 spring onions
- Handful of coriander
- 1 tsp of paprika
- Good sprinkle of salt and pepper
- 3 eggs
- Half a tsp of baking soda
- 1 egg (for serving)
- 1 Avocado (for serving)
- Handful of cheese (for serving)
- Handful of coriander (to garnish)
- 1 chilli (to garnish)
- Mix flour, salt, pepper, baking soda and paprika in a bowl.
- Chop coriander and spring onions finely.
- Separate egg yolks from egg whites, (keep egg whites for later.) This stage is completely optional, it just makes the pancakes a little fluffier. You can simply add the eggs as is if you wish.
- Add milk and egg yolks to dry mix, whisky and then add chopped coriander and onions, fold in with egg whites.
- Leave mixture to stand whilst you heat your skillet/frying pan.
- Add a knob of butter or oil, rub in to pan with kitchen towel. I do this to distribute the oil evenly, I repeat the process every few pancakes. It helps to stop burning.
- Once pan is hot, using a ladle, spoon in half a ladle at a time slowly.
- Leave to cook for 30 seconds on each side until golden. I look for bubbling before I flip.
- To keep your pancakes warm, after each one, wrap inside a clean tea towel, adding as you go.
For the salsa
- 1 large tomato
- Half a red onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 chillies
- Half a red pepper
- Juice of half a lime
- Generous sprinkle of salt and pepper
- Few sprigs of coriander
- Chop onion and tomato roughly.
- Add together with all of ingredients in to a blender.
- Whiz for a few seconds, you don’t want it too smooth.
- Chop avocado, grate cheese, chop chilli.
- Fry or poach your egg, if splitting the stack between a few, make a few eggs.
- Stack pancakes with ingredients how you wish, top with egg, sprinkle on chilli and coriander.