These potato cakes are a delicious way to use up leftover mashed potato. Enjoy them with a poached egg on top, or a simple salad with some fish. Like a small potato pancake, they are easy to pull together. Crispy on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside. There are a number of combinations you could use, fresh peas would be absolutely delicious.
I adore cheesy potato and you get a great hit with the Parmesan. With one bowl to mix and one pan to cook, you’re short on mess. Don’t you just love recipes like that? I often make more mashed potato than I need, as my eyes are bigger than my belly. So this is a great way of stopping it going to waste. Perfect for the kids too, so it’s a win win.
If you want to freeze them for later, simply lay them flat on some grease-proof paper. You can then bag them up once solid. Defrost thoroughly before cooking. They will last at least 3 months in the freezer.
Potato and Spring Onion Cakes
Prep time: 8 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 28 mins
- 400g mashed potato
- 40g Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 50g plain flour
- 1 tsp salt and pepper
- 5 spring onions, chopped finely (green included)
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and mix together.
- Scoop out 1 tbsp of heaped mixture, roll into a ball in your hands and flatten to a patty.
- Add 1 tbsp oil to a frying pan, add 4 patties to the pan. Cooking for 5 mins on each side.
- Remove to a tea towel, flat and not stacked. Cover to keep warm.
- Clean the frying pan with some paper towel and repeat the process again.
- Serve immediately.