Doughnuts make everything better, am I right? I couldn’t not make a blackberry version, that purple glaze! The colour you can achieve from berries is just divine, I think I might dye fabric with it next year. These are ready in 8 minutes, meaning you can be enjoying hot baked goods in no time at all. We are only taking the juice from the blackberries in this recipe. But we are still getting a huge hit of vitamin C from this seasonal and delicious fruit.
I’ve made a whole heap of doughnuts on this site and you can find them here. I’ve really started getting in to baking again, maybe it’s the weather. Or the fact that every Tuesday I now cosy up and watch The Great British Bake Off. The next thing I want to tackle is bread, especially rolls for soup. I just love autumn and all of the magic that comes with staying inside and keeping warm.
Spiced Blackberry Doughnuts
Prep time: 12 mins
Cook time: 8 mins
Total time: 20 mins
- 140g plain flour
- 30g sugar
- 1 egg
- 125ml milk
- 1tsp mixed spice
- 3tbsp butter
- 100g blackberries
- 100g icing sugar
- 1 and a half tsp baking powder
- Add flour, sugar, spice and baking powder to a bowl, mix and set aside.
- In a pan on a low heat, add milk, egg, butter and 25g blackberries. Whisk continuously until butter has melted, smushing blackberries as you go. Remove from heat.
- Pass liquid through a fine sieve in to flour mixture. Stir until combined.
- Spoon in to a greased doughnut pan and bake for 8 mins on 180c/gas mark 4/356F
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes in the pan, before transferring to a wire rack.
- To make the glaze, smush blackberries through a sieve, with a bowl collecting juice underneath.
- Slowly add juice to icing sugar until you have your desired consistency. Dip warm doughnuts in to glaze and allow to dry.