It’s strawberry season and what better way to celebrate summer, than by making ice lollies. I am so happy this year, because the strawberries in the garden have exceeded my expectations. Last year I bought a tray of strawberry plugs from the supermarket and they put off so many runners. So I decided to plant those and this year they have just exploded. I came back from holiday and all of my pots were dripping with fresh red fruit. I’ve been picking them every day since.
I absolutely adore being able to make my own versions of ice lollies. There are so many different options you can make and you know exactly what ingredients are going in to them. Which is perfect if you have children and want to steer away from things like E numbers. These strawberry lemonade ice lollies contain only four ingredients, strawberries, fresh lemon juice, water and sugar. They are incredibly simple to make and incredibly refreshing in the hot weather.
If you fancy a little booze, you could always add some vodka or drop them in to a glass of cold prosecco. It took me a while to find the right balance between tart and sweet, but I think I’ve got it just right. I always prefer lemonade that has a little kick. But if they are too tart for you, you could always add an extra 10g of sugar to the recipe. Here’s to summer!
Strawberry Lemonade Ice Lollies
Prep time: 15 mins
Freeze time: 8 hours
Total time: 8 hours, 15 mins
- 375ml fresh lemon juice (1 & a half cups)
- 500ml water (2 cups)
- 95g sugar (Half cup)
- 220g Strawberries (2 & a half cups)
- Collect juice from lemons and add to a pan with 500ml water and 95g sugar.
- Pop on a low heat and stir until sugar dissolves. Set aside.
- Hull strawberries and pop in a blender to create a pulp.
- Add strawberry mixture to lemon pan, stir and then pass the whole thing through a very fine sieve. This helps to collect all of the strawberry seeds and leftover pulp.
- Pour mixture in to ice lolly moulds and freeze for at least 8 hours.