As I mentioned a few posts back, this series has been in my notes for a very long time. Mainly because a lot of you always ask ‘What else can I make with such and such ingredient?’. So I thought I would just push through whatever was holding me back (time mainly) and launch it. I will be trying my hardest to keep these seasonal, to really maximise on saving money. Blood oranges are magnificent, I may be pretty bias as I get to photograph them. But simply on aesthetic value alone, they are one of my favourites. There are three different types of blood orange, each differing in colour and taste. They are mainly compared to a raspberry flavour mixed with citrus, I think they are simply delicious. In these three recipes, I have tried to pair them with balancing flavours to really make them sing.
VANILLA DOUGHNUTS WITH BLOOD ORANGE GLAZE
- 140g plain flour
- 100g sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 tblsp butter
- 125ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla bean extract
- 1 and a half tsp baking powder
- Pinch salt
- Juice from 1 large blood orange
- 30g salted pistachios
- 125g icing sugar
- Pre heat oven to 170 fan/190c/gas mark 4.
- Grease a doughnut pan with butter.
- Mix flour, sugar, baling powder and salt together. Set aside.
- Add milk, vanilla, butter and the egg to a pan over a low heat and whisk constantly until butter has melted.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix to combine.
- Spoon mixture in to doughnut pan until they are three quarters full, bake for no longer than 12 minutes. They should spring back at the touch. Allow to cool completely before glazing.
- For glaze, mix juice of one blood orange in to icing sugar. De-shell and finely chop pistachios.
- Dip doughnuts in to glaze and turn out on to a wire rack, whilst wet add a few chopped pistachios.
ROASTED ROOT VEG SALAD WITH BLOOD ORANGE VINAIGRETTE
- 200ml olive oil
- 1 and a half tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp mint and a bunch to garnish
- Half tbsp honey
- Juice of two blood oranges and one chopped for salad
- Half a small shallot, very finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Bag mixed salad leaves
- 2 parsnips
- 2 carrots
- 2 fresh beetroot
- 6-8 fresh radish
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Add blood orange juice, vinegar, shallot, mint, salt, pepper, honey and then olive oil to a small jar. Shake to blend, it will separate again, just shake before pouring.
- Chop 1 beet, the parsnips and carrots in to quarters length ways. Add to a baking tray with 1 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper. Bringing together with your hands to coat. Bake for 35-40 minutes on 200fan/220c/gas mark 7.
- Once veg is cooked, assemble your salad with sliced blood orange, quartered radish and beet and fresh mint.
- You will have plenty of vinaigrette so use as much as you wish.
Goats cheese would pair great with this salad if you were looking for a bit more substance. Or as a side to a roast chicken.
BLOOD ORANGE AND RASPBERRY OVERNIGHT OATS
- 125ml Milk
- 80ml yoghurt
- 80g rolled porridge oats
- Handful of frozen summer berries (I picked out mainly raspberries)
- 1 segmented blood orange
- Grab a jar you can seal.
- Add oats, then milk, then yoghurt, then toppings.
- Seal and leave in the fridge overnight.
- Top with honey, mixed nuts & seeds (optional), then mix to combine.