Vegan baking is something I haven’t ventured into, I guess I was scared I’d fail. Turns out it’s a lot easier than I imagined and I think I’ve now got the bug. I love cardamom with chocolate and I love cardamom with fruit, so why not combine both? This delicious chocolate, pear and cardamom cake is decadent without too many calories. It would be beautiful with a vegan ice-cream, custard or cream. I used Anjou pears, but any pears will work with this recipe. Just make sure they aren’t overly ripe as they wont hold their shape within the cake and may reduce too much liquid, making the cake soggy.
Top tips for this cake include waiting until it is completely cool before cutting into it. It can get quite crumbly otherwise. Don’t over work the cake when mixing, a gentle hand is needed here so as not to knock any air out of the mixture. Also if you slice your pears thinly, you can pack more in. You guys it’s just delicious. If you don’t like cardamom you could always swap it for cinnamon or a five spice blend. My husband ate two slices one after another, so you know it’s good. He’s very honest when it comes to my cooking, something I value dearly. Find more vegan recipes here.
Vegan Chocolate, Pear and Cardamom cake
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 35-40 mins
Total time: 45-50 mins
- 1-2 pears, thinly sliced
- 220g plain flour (1 & a half cups)
- 40g cocoa powder (1/3 cup)
- Half tsp cardamom
- Half tsp bicarbonate soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 80ml maple syrup (1/3 cup)
- 160ml cold water (2/3 cup)
- 80ml oil (1/3 cup)
- 50g cocoa nibs
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean extract
- Half tsp sea salt
- Handful of hazelnuts, crushed
- 2 tsp brown sugar ( for topping)
- Pre-heat oven to 180c/gas mark 4/350f.
- Line and grease a 9 inch spring bottomed cake tin, dust with cocoa powder and shake off access.
- Add all dry ingredients to a bowl (flour, cocoa, salt, bicrabonate of soda, baking powder, cardamom, cocoa nibs). Mix to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to a separate bowl (maple syrup, oil, water, vanilla, vinegar). Mix to combine.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and fold together gently until combined.
- Pout into the cake tin and top with sliced pear, inserting them into the mixture. Sprinkle over hazelnuts and some sugar.
- Bake for 35-40 mins or until a skewer comes out clean. Check around 30 mins.
- Allow to cool in the cake tin for at least 10-15 mins, then pop onto a wire rack and allow to cool completely.