Do you want me to be honest? I can’t even explain how delicious these cauliflower wings are. I think I could genuinely give up fried chicken for life after creating this recipe. Crispy on the outside and tender in the middle, with delicate spiced coating. They are simply incredible. I created the spice mix I’ve used here a long time ago, for this recipe. It’s something I keep in my cupboard at all times as I use it for a lot of things. So I knew it would be perfect for these and it really is.
You can use it for meat, fish and vegetables. It’s just the right level of spicy for me and my family. But if you want to make it a little hotter, add a tsp of chili powder to the mixture. It might seem like a lot of effort and ingredients. Alas, once you’ve made a batch of the spice mixture, I bet you end up using it often. One thing I want you to be mindful of when making these, is that the oil gets HOT!
Please, please be careful. Do not tip the pan or try and move it when it’s hot. I would highly suggest not making these around children if you have any. Also, be mindful that once the cauliflower has gone in, the temperature will dip. So make the wings in batches, checking the temperature between each batch. You need a temperature of between 350f-375f (177c-191c). Below will make them greasy and above will make them burn.
Vegan Spicy Cauliflower Wings
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 35 mins
- 1 head of cauliflower, broken into medium sized florets
- 1 litre of vegetable oil
Spice rub, makes a batch. Use 3 tblsp
- 1 tblsp onion powder/granules
- 1 & a half tblsp garlic powder
- 1 tblsp ground ginger
- 1 tblsp of dried thyme
- Half tsp white pepper
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp all spice
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 2 tsp parsley
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 135g plain flour (1 cup)
- 50g cornflour (Half cup)
- 175g breadcrumbs (1 and a half cups, *I made my own with stale bread)
- 250ml water (1 cup)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Half tsp salt
To oven bake, set the wings on a tray and pop them in a pre-heated oven at 210c/450f/gas mark 7. For 10 minutes, flip and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Make spice mix and add 3 tbsp worth to a large mixing bowl with flour, cornflour, baking powder and half tsp salt. Mix to combine, add water, mix and set aside.
- Add breadcrumbs to a separate bowl, set aside.
- Cut your cauliflower into florets and add to a pan of boiling water, cook for 3 minutes and then drain. Set aside.
- Add oil to a medium pan, I like using a metal pan if you have one. Bring slowly to a temperature of 350f (177c), check using a thermometer.
- Dip cauliflower first in batter to coat, then in breadcrumbs. Frying in batches of no more than three.
- Wait until breadcrumbs look golden, flip cauliflower and repeat. Takes around 3-4 minutes. Checking oil temperature between each batch.
- Pop on some paper towel or a tea towel to drain. *DO NOT USE YOUR HANDS*
- Repeat process until all cauliflower is used up.
- Serve cauliflower wings with hot sauce or vegan caesar sauce/aioli. I HIGHLY recommend the Leon garlic one.