Nothing beats strawberries and cream right? An absolute English classic. So today I have developed a vegan version with this pancake bowl. Indulgent, fresh and addictive. Have it for breakfast or dessert, it really is that great. Strawberry pancakes are stacked on top with fresh whipped coconut cream, nuts and strawberries. So simple but so delicious. You could add strawberry Jam, or even a strawberry and rhubarb compote.
To me strawberry and cream represents summer and beautiful dappled light shining through the trees in the garden. I love being able to pick fresh strawberries from my garden. I have grown them for three years now and nothing compares to home grown. They are pretty easy to grow and care for. Simply plant some runners in good compost, either in a pot, hanging basket or bed. Remember to mulch with straw to protect the fruit and if you suffer with birds, net them. I grow mine in pots and gutters, something that has worked great. Swap out your plants for new ones once three years is up.
Strawberry & Cream Pancake Bowl
Serves: 6-8 small pancakes
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 15 mins
- 135g plain flour (1 cup)
- 250ml oat milk (1 cup)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Oil for greasing
- 6 large strawberries, plus extra for topping
- 50g assorted nuts, finely chopped
- Coconut cream (I scoop the hard cream that floats to the top of a 400g tin coconut milk)
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- Maple syrup
- Add flour, baking powder, sugar to a bowl, mix to combine.
- Blend 6 strawberries in a food processor or simply chop until fine.
- Add them to the bowl with oat milk. Whisk to combine everything.
- Add a tsp of coconut oil to a heavy skillet or frying pan. Turn on to a medium heat. Once melted spoon even amounts of batter into the pan.
- Wait for bubbles to appear on the surface (a few minutes) , then gently flip until golden. Be aware that once you flip the pancake it will not take as long for that side to golden.
- Clean pan between each set of pancakes with kitchen roll and add fresh oil.
- Keep pancakes warm in a tea towel whilst you make the coconut cream.
- Add coconut cream and powdered sugar to a stand mixer or simply whisk by hand. Whisk until thick and combined.
- Assemble your bowl with pancakes, coconut cream, strawberries, nuts and drizzle of maple syrup.