Sausage rolls are ultimate comfort food in my opinion, especially hot out of the oven. These are a great mixture between sweet and savoury; with hints of subtle apple, spicy fennel and a kick of sage. I’ve longed to make my own version and it turns out they couldn’t be simpler. Why do we always put things off, thinking they’re hard to master without even trying? Its definitely something I want to change in myself. I vowed that I would do more baking this year, I’m yet to tackle bread. But I’ve bought myself a great book and one Sunday soon I will give some a go. Maybe it’s time to treat myself to a ditch oven?
Anyway, back to the sausage rolls. There’s only two elements to this process, the sausage mix and the pastry. I’ve tackled the pastry for you, just use ready made. Nobody has time to make puff pastry right? I definitely don’t. Fennel is actually in season now if you want to use fresh, but I am simply using dried seeds. I love the smell of fresh herbs and bulbs of garlic frying in a pan, there’s something so romantic about it. I’ve grated the apple, but you could chop it up super fine if you want more of an apple kick. Part of me feels these would be great dipped in mango chutney, but that’s just my taste buds going on a dream.
Sausage Rolls with Apple, Fennel and Sage
Prep time: 10-12 mins
Cook time: 30-35 mins
Total time: 40-50 mins
- 1 granny smith apple, grated or finely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 sage leaves, finely chopped
- Quarter tsp each of salt, black pepper and fennel seeds
- 250g sausage meat
- 1 roll ready made puff pastry, room temperature
- 1 beaten egg
- 2 tsp butter
- Black pepper and sesame seeds for topping
- Add shallot, apple, garlic, sage, fennel seeds, salt, pepper and butter to a pan. Cook for 5 minutes on high until shallot has softened. remove from heat and leave mixture to cool slightly.
- Once cooled, mix sausage meat (squeezed from skins) into the mixture and mix until combined equally.
- Divide mixture in to two.
- Roll out pastry on to a floured surface, cut into two equal parts vertically.
- Spoon in one half of the sausage mixture, leaving an inch gap to the left. Brush inch gap and far right edge of pastry with beaten egg.
- Roll pastry over sausage meat until all is secured, pressing down the last edge to secure.
- Repeat with the second lot of sausage and pastry.
- Coat both with beaten egg and sprinkle with pepper and sesame seeds.
- Cook on 180c/gas mark 6 for 30-35 minutes.